Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sarah Stoner on the Diamond Gem Dance Team

When it comes to Temple gamedays, there is always a lot of excitement coming from the field besides the actual game itself. We all know about the cheerleaders, but Temple has the luxury of having their very own dance team, the Diamond Gems. Each and every time the Temple football team takes to the field, the Diamond Gem Dance Team is right there with them, cheering on their team from the sidelines in between dance sequences.

To get a better understanding of the Diamond Gems, I brought in junior Sarah Stoner, who has been a member of the dance team for all of her three years at Temple.


1. What made you decide to attend Temple University?

My older brother went to Temple, and I remember visiting him and enjoying the atmosphere here at Temple. I appreciate the diversity. I think its important to be surrounded with people who come from different backgrounds. I also love the location of Temple University. It is right on broad street and it is very easy to get around Philadelphia, whether it be to Center City, South Street, Penns Landing, or to Pattison to go watch a Phillies game. Another thing that attracted me to Temple was the Prestige of the Fox Business School. And last but not least the Diamond Gems.

2. What made you want to become a member of the Diamond Gem Dance team at Temple?

I've been dancing since I was 8 years old. Its something I love to do. My former high school dance team Captain, Alyssa Spangler came to Temple and joined the Diamond Gems Dance Team. When she found out I was coming to Temple she encouraged me to try out. I love Temple sports and getting involved in my school, and Diamond Gems seemed like a great way to represent my university and have fun while doing it.

3. How would you descibe the whole tryout process to become a member of the dance team?

We hold tryouts every Spring, usually around end of April, open to all Full-Time Temple Students, including recently accepted high school seniors. Auditions start with a group warm-up and stretch, then proceed with a technique review which consists of turns, leaps, flexibility, and tricks. This is also a time when the judges look for who shows their personality and confidence, because its not just about how well you dance, but also how well you perform. Auditioners are taught two short routines in both jazz and hip hop and are taught a sideline. On the second day of tryouts we perform the jazz and hip hop routine as well as the sideline. Then the judges pick the team based on your scores.

4. Give us a quick rundown of what the Diamond Gem Dance team does to prepare for each game?

Throughout the year we hold practices three times a week to work on technique and learning new choreography for our routines. We have also have conditioning with the Temple Athletics Strength Coach twice a week. Each game we do two new routines as well as dance on the sidelines and cheer on our Owls. At football we dance at halftime with the band, and we also dance in between the 3rd and 4th quarter. We practice with the Diamond Marching Band the day before each football game to run through the half time show as well.

5. I'm sure you're a Temple football fan. What are your expectations for the team this year, and is there one particular player that you would consider your favorite?

I think Temple Football has come a long way and they really proved themselves last year. With the defeat of a tough 'Nova team last Friday, we set the momentum to keep winning and hopefully have an even better record this year. I sure would like the Owls to give Penn State and JoePa a run for their money on the 25th.

I would consider my favorite player to be Chester Stewart. He's an awesome QB and he has a great arm. Last year, even though he only started about 4 games, he led us to a lot of victories, and I believe he was the reason we got to the bowl game. He also did a wonderful job in the 2010 Mayor's Cup leading us to our victory against Villanova!

--
Cherry & White Nation thanks Ms. Stoner for taking some time to better our understanding of the Diamond Gem Dance Team. Be sure to check out Sarah and the rest of the Diamond Gems when Temple hosts Central Michigan this Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment